Thursday, June 26, 2008

X-Factor Visionaries - Meeeeemories.....

Well, I had a twenty dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket and so I caved in and told my local comic book shop (yes I support them over Borders when I can ^^) to (please) order me X-Factor Visionaries Volume 4. (Peter David) I've been waffling over it since I heard that it had been released a few weeks back so I finally made the plunge. I have some wonderful nostalgia about that time of X-Factor - Polaris was more sane(ish), Rahne had a painful crush on Havok, and Guido's jokes were funny. They all went to the shrink (which has been recently revisited) and fought together in one of the (many many many) crossovers of the early 90s. It was good times for the most part.

I won't be wishy washy about my opinion of Peter David's current work. It's really dark and while it fits (current) X-Factor from time to time, it really, really doesn't work in She Hulk. Even though they explained why she's so damn cranky these days, it was still hard to muster sympathy for her. Especially when the person who was in the right at the time was Mallory friggin Book. /groan.

I don't think PAD has gone the way of Claremont - i.e. from amazingly wonderful to WTF Mate. It's a sad day when I read Genext and think 'It wasn't awful! Hooray!' Claremont is another heartbreaking tangent that I won't make you suffer through right now. Maybe later - HaHAH.

At any rate, this trade paperback will be in my subscription box next week and I'll be sure to let you know if my nostalgia for this storyline stands the test of time.

No comments: