Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Kotaku-ites Hate Second Life

Kotaku posted a news story about Second Life - well, another story in a series. Turns out that they'll be charging for custom last names. The feature will likely cost $100 up front and $50 a year. Read the entire post here. Do I think this is ridiculous? Yeah, pretty much, but that being said, it will also be wildly popular and the Lindens that Be will be lighting their cigars with $100 dollar bills. Reading through the comments on Kotaku, I must say, they HATE SL and all that frequent that world. While I have had run ins with everything from griefers (assholes) to furries (not as terrifying as initially suspected...but still...brr) - I find no reason to hate the place. Anywho, I commented on it, but so far Kotaku thinks my comments aren't post worthy XD SO! I'll post it here and make you suffer through it. (and also suffer through a vanity shot of my avatar!)
------------------------------------------
Ok, people are having fits over having to buy vitual last names, but no one cares about the other thousands of useless micro-transactions in SL?

It's not particularly easy to get free Lindens to spend in there without dropping real money on them. So, why isn't anyone agast that people are spending cash on everything from virtual penises to bubblegum?

SL doesn't particularly offend me as much as it may offend others. It's really a shiny, shiny chat room with options to script and build. I've found that some of the ore 'hardcore' SL-ers aren't really gamers, so it's as much of a hobby to them as gaming is to Kotaku-ites. They probably don't think twice about dropping cash into their particular hobby.

They're going to make a crapton of money off of this. Guaranteed.

No comments: